Re: v4l2loopback kernel module in Fedora?

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 12:13 PM stan via devel
<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Apr 2020 02:56:08 -0400
> Christopher <ctubbsii@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Has anyone tried packaging v4l2loopback into Fedora? I'd really like
> > to set up a screen capture device for video conferencing stuff, but I
> > keep running into problems with SecureBoot. I don't really know what
> > I'm doing with mokutil or DKMS and I'm generally uncomfortable
> > building kernel modules myself. I would be far more comfortable simply
> > installing directly from a Fedora RPM that contains the signed kernel
> > module needed.
>
> Have you looked at OBS?  It's actually a tool to create streaming
> content, but it performs screen capture, and has key mappings so it can
> be started and stopped without switching to the gui.  It is on
> rpmfusion.

tl;dr - OBS requires v4l2loopback to do what I need to do. And, even
without OBS, all the instructions out there to capture and share
specific screens (or portions of screens) in Linux using apps like
Slack describe using v4l2loopback.

I'm already using OBS. I use OBS to prepare the scene by combining all
the sources into the scene layout I want, but then I need to expose
that result into an output stream that can be used in Slack or other
apps. There are OBS plugins to emit the scene to a virtual video
capture device, and it works on Windows just fine, but for it to work
on Linux, I need to use the v4l2loopback module to create a virtual
camera that can be used in those streaming apps. As I understand it,
v4l2loopback is already available on Ubuntu. There was a COPR package
for it, but it hasn't been maintained in some time, and even when
bringing it up-to-date, it uses DKMS to build an unsigned kernel
module, which won't load. I'm not comfortable messing with mokutil and
SecureBoot configuration, and don't think it should be necessary to
get this functionality.