Re: How to retire a package only for Fedora 32+

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 12:12 AM Andrew Toskin <andrew@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm aware of the `fedpkg retire` command, but that seemingly retires the package entirely, and even auto pushes the changes to my package repo. (I will now need to revert this or something -- I'd assumed there would at least be a prompt to confirm before doing a git push...)

No, it doesn't retire the package "entirely" - it retires the package
on the branch that was active when you ran "fedpkg retire".
The "git push" is necessary to put the "dead.package" file in place,
which marks the branch as retired (among other things, including
blocking package builds in koji).

I agree about the missing confirmation prompt though, since it's a
destructive action that you wouldn't want to activate by accident.

> The package I want to *halfway* retire is gnome-shell-extension-no-topleft-hot-corner, which allows you to disable the "hot corner" in GNOME Shell. As of GNOME 3.34, you can now do this from GNOME Tweaks, so the No Topleft Hot Corner extension is obsolete... Having it installed does no harm, but it's redundant.
>
> This means the extension was actually obsoleted in Fedora 31, though the Packaging Guidelines say not to deprecate packages in a stable branched release of the distro. So I would have liked to retire the package only for Fedora 32+ -- the extension may still be useful in EPEL 7 and 8.

The Guidelines say to run "fedpkg retire" on all branches you want the
package to be retired on, starting with the oldest one. Since you
already started with "master", you'll still have to switch to the f32
branch and run "fedpkg retire" there as well.

Hope that answers your questions.

Fabio