Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: Mark libdb as deprecated

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 10:30:37AM -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Libdb_deprecated

== Summary ==
This change should inform maintainers and developers about effort to
remove libdb in future.

== Owner ==
* Name: [[User:fjanus|Filip Januš]]
* Email: fjanus@xxxxxxxxxx

== Detailed Description ==
We would like to remove libdb from Fedora in future, because
BerkeleyDB 6.x has a more restrictive license than the previous
versions (AGPLv3 vs. LGPLv2) and due many projects can't use it.
Nowadays Fedora uses the old version (5.3.28) and we can't update to
newer. Due to many projects have libdb dependency, we propose few
steps to complete removal. First step would mark libdb as deprecated
package in Fedora 33. Next steps in Fedora 35 would provide converting
tool for existing databases and mark libdb as orphaned.

Is there a way to read old database files?

libguestfs uses libdb (actually utils like db_dump) in order to read
old RPM databases from old guests.  Since these old guests never go
away we'd like to continue to support them.  (And before anyone
mentions librpm, that just moves the problem around.)

Actually, at the end of last year RPM gained the ability to read BDB databases without libdb as an x-mas present from Michael Schroeder :) That's the "bdb_ro" backend mentioned in rpm %changelog on the alpha snapshot update.

Rpm will autodetect the on-disk database but as long as real BDB is available, it'll use that. So for the time being, to test the readonly-backend you'll need to explicitly set the backend to bdb_ro with
--define "_db_backend bdb_ro".

BTW your list of dependencies didn't include libguestfs because the
dependency is indirect (via libdb-utils), so you probably missed other
packages as well.

Also I'm unclear why packaging BDB 6 is a problem.  What's wrong with
AGPLv3?  Still free software surely?

Plenty of material on the subject around the net, eg https://lwn.net/Articles/557820/

	- Panu -

Rich.