Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: java-11-openjdk as system JDK in F33

On 30. 03. 20 17:47, Jiri Vanek wrote:
On 3/30/20 5:04 PM, Miro Hrončok wrote:
On 30. 03. 20 16:04, Ben Cotton wrote:
* Contingency mechanism: Return jdk8 as system jdk and mass rebuild
again. Note, that this may be very hard, because during build of
packages by jdk8, by jdk11 built dependencies will be picekd up, so
build will fail. Maybe several iterations of mass rebuild will be
needed.

Can we lease do this in a side tag instead and verify basic functionality before we merge it to
rawhide? Than the contingency might just be: Don't merge the side tag.

Sounds like good idea..the way how to go. Only I'm not familiar with how it works.

Note that it implies that the change owners coordinate the rebuilds.

See this documentation for how we do Python upgrades of this sort (except in Python, we need to rebuild "everything" and in a correct order, while the Java thing seem to generally run fine when built with an older version, so tings get easier for you):

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Python/UpgradingPython#Once_ready.2C_move_into_Fedora_proper

--
Miro Hrončok