Re: The Git forge decision (was CPE Weekly: 2020-03-28)

20/3/30 11:27(e)an, Iñaki Ucar igorleak idatzi zuen:
> [...]
> <jlanda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Indeed, it seems like the lead got buried. I, too, had missed the announcement. I guess I'll make more effort to read these weekly status updates.
>
> I missed that too! This is not a way to communicate such a big
> decision. Plus we went from requirements gathering to the final
> decision? Where's the rest of the process?
>
>> From the original blow post:
>> https://communityblog.fedoraproject.org/git-forge-requirements/
>>
>>> How will information be gathered and disseminated?
>>>
>>> It is recommended that both Fedora Council and CentOS Board gather
>> input and present their concerns in a manner that is consistent with how
>> their communities work. The RHEL and CPE requirements will be gathered
>> through Red Hat communication mechanisms and presented publicly via a
>> HackMD file to ensure transparency in their source. This will be
>> published and distributed in due course. Additionally, a live video call
>> and associated IRC meetings will be held and advertised in advance to
>> discuss the requirements, talk about concerns and address any questions.
>>> We want transparency to be at the heart of this decision.
>>
>> Good promise, where are all those? No discussion, no advances, no proper
>> information dissemination, nothing :(
>>
>> This announcement is not even on the first position on communityblog. I
>> was expecting at least the same announcement visibility level for the
>> final announcement that we had for the initial one: first position on
>> communityblog blog + exclusive threads on the mailing lists.
>>
>> Well, actually I was waiting for those live discussions
>
> Moreover, Leigh Griffin said in the previous devel thread:
>
>> And if the requirements are stated we can have an open conversation about
>> what does suit it.
>
> So I was also waiting for those open discussions about the
> requirements gathered. I was really looking forward to reading what
> Neal (as he's doing now) and others had to say about the requirements
> *before* any decision was taken, and how each tool covers them or not,
> and what kind of effort would require to cover it in the latter case.
> This is *very* disappointing.
>
> In the final announcement in the Community Blog, this is listed as a
> requirement:
>
>> 24/7 availability in an SLA model and not hosted by the CPE team freeing
>> up resourcing and removing the need to staff a dedicated team for a git
>> forge SLA which would necessitate a follow-the-sun ops model and a
>> heavy investment in stability and observability of the Pagure solution.
>
> Ok, so I suppose that's it, check mate. I recall that several people
> in the initial thread argued that self-hosting was important to avoid
> depending on third-parties. Obviously this requirement comes directly
> from CPE and supersedes any of such arguments. Also it automatically
> rules Pagure out, so GitLab is the only option even if it doesn't
> cover many other requierements (as per Neal's analysis).

Moreover, the SLA requirement for the git forge is bigger than the SLE
of CPE even for the most critical internal services:
https://fedora-infra-docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/sysadmin-guide/sles/General-SLE.html

So, is the outsourced option the unique real option? Why all this then?

How can you ask for an 24/7 SLA on the gitforge while we have a lower
expectation for the AAA service that the forge will depend on to be
functional?