Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change Proposal: ELN Buildroot and Compose V2

So, in general I think this is a pretty cool idea and I am in favor of
it. I do think we are going to have to learn and adjust as we go here
somewhat, we can't be 100% sure of how this will pan out. Of course we
should plan as best we can now too. :)

Some random things in no particular order:

* This is the sort of thing that doesn't really fit the change process
too well, since it's not really tied to a release or adding some
deliverable to a release or whatever. I guess it's the best we have
though currently.

* So, while you say "we will not be shipping any content produced from
ELN directly to the general public", it sounds like ODCS composes and of
course packages from koji will be available for those that know where to
look for them, which brings up:

** Can you add that you will document how these packages interact
somewhere? I guess the ELN wiki page if nothing else. ie, say eln
packages are built with different compiler flags, we should have some
way to tell people who get a hold of them what hardware will work on
them or fail completely.

** If we get a lot of demand we may need to redo stuff around ODCS, as
it's currently just a pair of vm's with a nfs mount to serve those
composes. If there's a lot of load we may need to put some caching in
front of it or put it on a dedicated download server or something.

* Might note that this will require a new "release" in bodhi. I don't
think thats much work (might just be config), but could be good to
check.

* Might add in the benifit to fedora that ODCS will get worked on and
perhaps someday we can move all our other composes into it. (This would
allow us to not have a bodhi-backend machine, it could be all in
openshift, and let us let koji do the heavy lifting instead of a
rawhide-composer instance)

* Suggestion: How about making a ELN tracker bug and require anything
that uses %eln or has some failure to build being filed against the
package and tracked in the tracker. This would allow people who care to
follow along and see how many issues there are, etc.

* Depending on when we get this going, timing might be not that great.
We have the datacenter move coming up. In late may/early june we will
likely have a lot less capacity of builders until we can re-add machines
as they arrive from shipping. I think as long as you don't mind things
being slow, we could tune it so ELN builds are not as high priority as
normal builds (so they will wait until there's capacity for them). They
would still finish, just might take longer and not impact other builds.
In fact, perhaps we should set this from the start and see if it causes
you any issues?

* Additionally there will likely be some more disk usage from this (on
ODCS and in koji). However, if we only need to keep around the last
working eln build and don't keep a bunch of composes I don't think this
should be too big an issue. Definitely something to watch tho.

Anyhow, those are probibly also a lot of things we can just sort out
with releng, but figured I'd throw them out there while I was thinking
about them.

Overall I think this could be a very nice effort and won't even
hopefully cost us much in time and energy.

kevin