Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: ELN Buildroot and Compose

Le mercredi 25 mars 2020 à 14:19 -0400, Neal Gompa a écrit :
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 2:16 PM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > On 25. 03. 20 19:10, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> > > In general, very few packages should even need conditionalizing
> > > at
> > > all; that's why I've been saying that this discussion is
> > > premature.
> >
> > Most of the Python packages we maintain in RHEL would need
> > conditionalizing to
> > disable (part of) tests or docs.
> >

> Disabling regeneration of documentation I get, but why would you
> disable running the tests? That stuff is important to ensure the
> packages aren't broken as you maintain them, patch them, etc.

Unfortunately, a lot of upstream testing code is poorly written and
maintained, and will do all kinds of horrors: using legally uncumbered
deps, attempting to reconfigure the system as root (because
containers), testing downstream users (creating dependency loops),
testing things you configured away, testing things that were removed
from the main code long ago (but their usnit tests lingers), requiring
a deep dependency tree to test trivial things, etc

Sometimes the only reason it “works” upstream is that upstream stopped
maintaining it and the same unchanging config is tested in a loop all
year round to feed lots of meaningless green lines to hosting service
and the author’s PHB.

As a result, the test suite may be more hassle to package and maintain
than the software it tests (and, with little to show for all this
bother).

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot