Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: ELN Buildroot and Compose

Dne 25. 03. 20 v 15:02 Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek napsal(a):
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 02:06:59PM +0100, Aleksandra Fedorova wrote:
>> Hi, Miro,

>>> Sure They are good for downstream. RHEL clearly benefits from this.
>>> But they impose additional cognitive overhead on the community maintainers in
>>> Fedora.

>>> This is all nice only as long as you prefer conditionals over branching. For a
>>> Fedora maintainer who doesn't, this is just "unnecessary cruft" in the spec file.
>> It is not really about personal preferences. These are two different
>> approaches with different purposes, different results and different
>> requirements.
>> There are consequences on choosing one other the other.
>>
>> Branching means forking Fedora Rawhide into something else. Which
>> eventually will lead to new downstream tree which will ignore the rest
>> of Fedora and just use the fork instead. It can be done, but I think
>> it will damage Fedora as a project.

Just FTR, there is `git symbolic-ref` [1], which means that the "branch"
won't need to be necessarily branch, if the content of master and
rawhide is the same. In that case, you don't even need any
synchronization. Given this, it would be easy to track how many packages
are vanilla Rawhide packages and which are modified and need special
attention.

But this is of course just implementation detail.

Vít

[1] https://git-scm.com/docs/git-symbolic-ref