Re: Should logrotate timer be enabled by default on all installations?

On Wednesday, March 18, 2020 3:50:34 PM CET Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 01:04:58PM +0100, Kamil Dudka wrote:
>
> > logrotate is a utility designed to simplify the administration of log
> > files on
 a system which generates a lot of log files.  It used to be
> > triggered by cron. The cron hook was unconditionally installed with
> > logrotate but it took effect only if a cron daemon was installed.
> >
> > Starting with Fedora 30, logrotate is triggered by a systemd timer
> > instead.
 In order to make updates smoother, the timer was enabled on
> > updates in case a cron daemon was configured on the system.
> >
> > The timer is currently not enabled on fresh installs to avoid surprises
> > (such
 as data lost) on systems where logrotate is installed but not
> > actually used. logrotate can also be triggered independently of
> > systemd/cron and can be even run by non-privileged users to rotate logs
> > they have access to.
> >
> > Some people think that the logrotate timer should be enabled by default on
> > all
 systems where the logrotate package is installed:

> >     https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1655153#c4
> >

> > Do you think it would be a good idea?
>

> Yes, I think it's reasonable to enable it by default. People should just
> not
 install logrotate package if it's not necessary. We should also make
> sure that the package is not Required from those packages that use the
> journal.
> (I think that for most cases text logs are not necessary, and journald
> is a better approach, but for the cases where text logs are created,
> logrotate is something that people want 99% of the time, so we should
> make it easy to have the right thing happen if the package is installed.)
>
> Note: we have a documented process for enabling services:
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/DefaultServices/.
> logrotate.timer satisfies the requirements to be enabled without a fesco
> exception. So it should be enough to file a PR for fedora-release.
> Zbyszek

Thank you all for sharing your opinion on this!

I have opened a pull request to enable logrotate.timer by default:

    https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/fedora-release/pull-request/111

Kamil