Re: Need help with my packages

On 3/17/20 5:27 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:
Hi,

On 3/1/20 10:30 PM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
I have too many packages that I am the maintainer for and need help. If you would like to help out by either becoming a co-maintainer or becoming the primary maintainer, please let me know.  The full list follows.  Many of these I just made the scitech_sig group co-mainter of as described here:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/scitech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/76IZTKYWTLQL35FJAWEWBNUIGRAQJQX7/

so if you are interested in those becoming a member of the scitech_sig, if you are not already, would probably be the easiest.

Thanks!

<snip>

svgalib

As one of the last upstream developers of svgalib I honestly
wonder why this is still alive today.

Are you maintaining this because it is a dependency of
something you care about?  Or do you actually care about / use
programs which use its functionality ?

IMHO the best solution would be to just drop this, which
I guess first requires fixing things which needlessly still
build an svgalib backend, while they really shouldn't.

Checking for runtime deps on F32 gives me:

bochs-0:2.6.11-2.fc32.x86_64
bochs-debugger-0:2.6.11-2.fc32.x86_64
bochs-gdb-0:2.6.11-2.fc32.x86_64
gnuboy-svgalib-0:1.0.3-24.fc32.x86_64
koules-svgalib-0:1.4-31.fc32.x86_64
lcdproc-0:0.5.9-6.20190625git781b311.fc32.x86_64

I'm co-maintainer of lcdproc and I would be happy to
drop the dependency there. It seems that for
gnuboy and koules svgalib support already lives
in a subpackage so it would just be a matter of
dropping (*) these sub packages.

So that just leaves bochs, where I guess we
can probably also just build it without
svgalib support.

So what is your take on working towards
just dropping svgalib?

Regards,

Hans

*) and Obsoleting them from the main package

I honestly have no idea how I ended up with svgalib. I suspect it was a dependency of another package of mine long ago. I would be quite happy to have it retired. Thanks.

--
Orion Poplawski
Manager of NWRA Technical Systems          720-772-5637