Re: What to do when packagers "forget" bodhi updates for branched (f32)?

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 12:46 AM Peter Hutterer
<peter.hutterer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 09:30:51PM +0100, Fabio Valentini wrote:
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > It's that time of the semi-year again, and I again found multiple
> > instances of packages that have updates for rawhide and f31/f30, but
> > no bodhi update for fedora 32.
> >
> > In most cases, the updated package was built on fedora 32 (a koji
> > build was successful), but no bodhi update was created. In some cases,
> > f32 was "forgotten" entirely.
> >
> > So, assuming the best, those packagers simply forgot that bodhi
> > updates are necessary for branched releases after the beta freeze.
> >
> > What is the best couse of action for such forgotten updates? Some are
> > bugfixes, others are new versions, and some could be security fixes,
> > that are then missing from f32 entirely.

(snip)

> I pushed a few updates after branching where I did try to submit updates and
> bodhi rejected them (too early) and then I simply missed the point where
> they became necessary.
>
> so for me - an email to fedora-{devel|announce} with "bodhi updates for f32
> are required now" would be good. the more obvious the subject line the
> better. if that email was indeed sent and I missed it - oops and my
> apologies :)

There was an announcement sent to test@, test-announce@, and devel-announce@:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/UJRPBSP2BP6MM42NW5NM5WTMQY7WCT4V/

The subject "Fedora 32 Beta Freeze" isn't so clear though.
That "Beta Freeze" means that creating updates in bodhi starts being
necessary is only "hidden" in the first or second paragraph.

> Failing all that, screaming at the maintainer in the most appreciative and
> respectful way is always a good way to get things fixed too :)

I try to not scream at anybody, particularly not at those who do show
up and do the work :)

> > I *could* file bodhi updates for everything that's missing from f32,
> > but I do not want to interfere with others' work here.
> >
> > Filing bodhi comments on the updates that break the upgrade path
> > (f31/f30, in this case) is not productive either, since those comments
> > are often ignored in my experience.
> >
> > A few examples that popped up on my systems (I'm sure there are more):
> >
> > 1) dnsmasq-2.80-12.fc31 is going to f31 stable:
> > https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2020-aab29ac03c
> > The corresponding f32 build (dnsmasq-2.80-13.fc32) succeeded in koji,
> > but then an internal koji error broke it. It wasn't resubmitted, and
> > there's no bodhi update for it:
> > https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=42386221
> >
> > 2) libinput-1.15.3-2.fc31 is going to f31 stable:
> > https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2020-d66ed9f32e
> > The corresponding f32 build in koji was successful, but no bodhi
> > update is associated with it:
> > https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1475404
>
> fixed now, apologies for the mess.
>
> Cheers,