Re: kernel source code

Can anyone enlighten me as to what this is supposed to mean?

In order to eliminate the redundancy inherent in providing a separate package for the kernel source code when that source code already exists in the kernel's .src.rpm file, Fedora Core 3 no longer includes the kernel-source package. Users that require access to the kernel sources can find them in the kernel .src.rpm file. To create an exploded source tree from this file, perform the following steps (note that <version> refers to the version specification for your currently-running kernel):
1. Obtain the kernel-<version>.src.rpm file from one of the following sources:
DONE
2. Install kernel-<version>.src.rpm (given the default RPM configuration, the files this package contains will be written to /usr/src/redhat/)
Presumably rpm -i ....src.rpm - DONE
3. Change directory to /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/, and issue the following command:
rpmbuild -bp --target=<arch> kernel.spec
(Where <arch> is the desired target architecture.)
DONE
On a default RPM configuration, the kernel tree will be located in /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/.
4. In resulting tree, the configurations for the specific kernels shipped in Fedora Core 3 are in the /configs/ directory. For example, the i686 SMP configuration file is named /configs/kernel-<version>-i686-smp.config. Issue the following command to place the desired configuration file in the proper place for building:

cp <desired-file> ./.config
Errr- where are you supposed to be when you do this (cadidates are in this case /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.10/linux-2.6.10/configs or /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/)

        5.            Issue the following command:

make oldconfig
Errr - where are you supposed to be in this case? presumably where there is the top level makefile is?

And where are the sources supposed to end up? the directory /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.10/linux-2.6.10 doesn't seem very general... I guess it is appropriate to copy this to /usr/src?

I did have one minor complaint about the behaviour of yum and kernel-sourcecode before and that was that yum insisted in deleting sourcecodes from other kernel versions making it a pain to upgrade gently. Still it was easier than this...

Thanks,

SA