Re: Directory hierarchy in icon-theme packages

On Thu, 2020-03-05 at 14:52 +0000, Artur Iwicki wrote:
> I couldn't find an answer in the Packaging Guidelines, so I'm writing
> here.
>
> My question is as follows: looking at the various icon-theme packages
> in Fedora, they seem to adhere to the following directory hierarchy:
> - 16x16
> > - apps
> > - emblems
> > - (other categories)
> - 32x32
> > - (categories)
> - (other sizes)
>
> However, looking through some icon packs on the Internet, many
> authors use the following hierarchy instead:
> - apps
> > - 16px
> > - 32px
> > - (other sizes)
> - mimetypes
> > - (sizes)
> - (other categories)
>
> Is there any kind of preference in Fedora for the first option, so
> that one should move the files around to match it, or should the
> directory hierarchy be left they way upstream does it? I guess since
> the "index.theme" file lists all the paths, it doesn't matter from a
> technical standpoint, but I still thought it'd be better to ask.

https://specifications.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.html#directory_layout

I think the only thing that matters is the theme index file, which
lists out all the directories:
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.html#icon_lookup

--
Ernestas Kulik