Re: Announcing start of DNF 5 development

Dne 05. 03. 20 v 19:38 J. Randall Owens napsal(a):
On 04/03/2020 18:03, Daniel Mach wrote:
Hello everyone,
I'm pleased to announce start of DNF 5 development. We are planning to
deliver a module stream or a COPR repo during Fedora 33 development for
early adopters and tool developers and we're hoping in getting a stable
version into Fedora 34.

More details follow.

We've managed to drop a lot of redundant code across the whole DNF stack
in the past years, but we have reached a point when it's nearly
impossible to consolidate the code any further without breaking the
API/ABI. Especially with PackageKit being dead[1], we can't move with
the old "libhif" API in libdnf, because making any bigger changes to
PackageKit is clearly out of scope.

[1]
https://blogs.gnome.org/hughsie/2019/02/14/packagekit-is-dead-long-live-well-something-else/

That's why we decided to start working on a new version of the DNF
stack: DNF 5. And this is the plan:

Priorities
----------
1. Consistency, documentation and user experience is the top priority.
2. Compatibility on the command line level.
3. Compatibility on the API level.
<snip>

In favour of 1., but going against 2., I've wanted since the YUM days to
see more consistency in the compound-word* options. E.g., --enablerepo
but --skip-broken, and I have a hard time remembering which ones get the
hyphen inbetween*, and which ones don't. Could we settle on one way or
the other, right now quite the majority are without hyphen, and
deprecate the other (but presumably enable both spellings for a good
long while, perhaps with a warning if someone spells it the old way)?
Probably not take away the old spellings as soon as DNF 5, but it might
be a good time to add the more consistent spellings.

* Yes, I did that on purpose.

I'll definitely put this on the list.

We're primarily aiming at even worse stuff:
$ dnf list bash -> displays bash package
$ dnf list available -> displays all available packages
$ dnf list installed -> displays all installed packages
$ dnf list all -> displays all packages
What if there were packages named 'all', 'available' or 'installed'?
These are yum compatibility quirks which should be replaced with proper --options. There's definitely much more than this example.