Re: Ideas and proposal for removing changelog and release fields from spec file

On Fri, 2020-02-28 at 15:45 +0100, clime wrote:
> I thought the main reason not to combine update in the changelog file
> with
> code commits is to avoid conflicts when cherry picking as you
> described.
>
> I.e. i do minor update specifically in f32 and generate changelog
> file
> in the same commit.
> Then I want to do normal release update for all fedora branches. I
> start with master (as usual)
> and add e.g. add a new patch and generate the changelog file because
> would like to add more info, then commit.
> Now I cannot cherry-pick that commit into f32 without conflict.
>
> In this case we wouldn't achieve one the targets of this proposal
> (afaik) => getting rid of merge conflicts in changelog and release -
> this is cherry-picking but still it would be nice not to have
> conflicts there.
> This target isn't in the document i think but i thought this is one
> of
> the goals.

Leaving aside the advantages or disadvantages of a detached changelog
(vs. in-spec vs. "everything from the commits"), our aim is to reduce
the potential for conflicts between concurrent PRs or when cherry-
picking between branches. If what we end up with can't avoid them
completely for (what should be) corner cases, like when you have to
manually fuzz with the generated changelog, that may not be ideal, but
it's still a considerable improvement over the present situation.

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to
Software Engineer   purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither