Re: Ideas and proposal for removing changelog and release fields from spec file

On Thu, 27 Feb 2020 at 18:07, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 05:42:11PM +0100, Miro Hrončok wrote:
> > On 25. 02. 20 9:50, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> > >Upgrade path may be problematic if you update Fn to a version in less commit
> > >than the update for Fn-1 (ie: you update F32 to 1.0 in 1 commit and update F31
> > >to 1.0 in 2 commits, suddenly you have F32 with 1.0-1 and F31 with 1.0-2).
> >
> > I don't consider that an issue. It's not super elegant, but since we
> > do distro-sync on upgrades, it shuld be fine.
>
> Hmm, I don't do distro-sync and in general I think upgrade path is
> something that should be preserved.

This is a very good point really. Either it should have been always like that or
we will lose something by removing that number just after the last dash.

I.e. what's the definition of Release number (the number just after
the last dash).
Does it have a definition? I was looking for it in packaging
guidelines but couldn't
find it.

Does ENVR without %{dist} means something with respect to the content from
which the package was built or with respect to features that it offers
for the given
distribution version?

Thank you
clime