Re: State of FMN (FedMSG Notifications) and Replacement

On Wed, 2020-02-26 at 13:03 -0800, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 02:45:24PM +0000, Jeremy Cline wrote:
> > FYI before I left the team I started hacking up a replacement[0].
> > My
> > design focused on how to get as rich a feature set as I could using
> > only AMQPs currently available filtering features. There's a couple
> > feature differences for end-users:
> >
> > * Users can filter on message importance based on
> >   fedora_messaging_severity and any documented optional header[1].
> >   Users can also provide AMQP-formatted topics they'd like to
> > receive
> >   notifications for (again, with a severity filter). There's no
> > running
> >   arbitrary regex over messages to filter.
>
> That may be enough. I guess we will need to look at the use cases
> here
> and see if there's other ones that need some kind of regex...

My recommendation for that is if there are things that can't be matched
with current topics, change the topic (you can publish the message
twice with different topics to retain compatibility for some period of
time). Topics are entirely designed for filtering messages, ours just
aren't very good.

- Jeremy