Re: Ideas and proposal for removing changelog and release fields from spec file

Le 2020-02-27 08:35, Nicolas Mailhot via devel a écrit :
Le mercredi 26 février 2020 à 23:07 -0500, Neal Gompa a écrit :

You don't use Release for upstream versioning, even for snapshots.
For
your examples:

* 0-0.1.beta.2 -> 0~beta.2-1
* 0-0.1.20120225gitd6c789a -> 0~git20120225.d6c789a-

Sorry but no

You are attempting to redefine the meaning of Version (*upstream*
version) to accommodate your release simplification plans

To expand a little: as soon as you are in commit land, upstream ordering is effectively undefined.

It is a packager (hopefully educated) judgment call to impose a Fedora packaging order over an upstream commit sequence, to decide if a commit looks like more a pre or post release, do decide to take the commit in a specific upstream branch or not, etc.

Upstream commit ordering is undefined. Upstream did not pledge to evolve commits in a specific non-API breaking linear direction. They can make API breaks, revert them, reorder, fix Fedora problems in a topic branch, merge topic branches in no particular order, give up on topic branches and re-do them some other way, rebase, fork, etc. The Fedora packager may make a mistake in its educated guess and target a different branch or commit point in its next package release.

Even if we had deep integration with upstream’s code repositories (which we have not today, and which would cause deep problems every time upstream shuffles its commits or re-hosts or forks, losing some history, or when an upstream repo URL goes away for another reason) we could not reliably automate an evr ordering from upstream’s commit history (we’d have to effectively epoch every single commit change, and that is moving the problem from release to version to epoch instead of merely moving it from releasez to version).

Release to upstream commit mapping is a downstream Fedora invention. It has no place in Version. Please stop pretending upstream made the commit choice for us. If it was ready to make this choice, it would have tagged a specific release point.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot