Re: Seeking co-maintainer for libffi package

* Richard Shaw:

> While API/ABI breaking changes within a release is discouraged, it's
> still might be the right thing to do.

libffi within a Fedora release?  That seems rather ... involved because
Python depends on it.

I don't think we'll need ABI changes for CET support, and we plan to
port CET support into Fedora 31's (and 32's) libffi 3.1 version.  But I
won't be able to work on this before April at least.

The justification for the first soname bump (to .7) does not appear to
be correct to me: introducing symbol versioning does not need a soname
bump with the GNU ELF implementation, and the aarch64 change only
affects Mach-O targets, not ELF targets.  The ELF ABI is in fact
unchanged.

If I'm counting correctly, we currently use only 20 out of 36 bytes for
the aarch64 trampoline, so there's room for future BTI support as well.

Thanks,
Florian