Re: Fedora & Containers

On Tue, 25 Feb 2020 at 17:07, Michal Schorm <mschorm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

Will anybody be able to explain to me the current state of the
containers & containerization in Fedora, please?

Hi Michal,

As you mention in the points below the current state of building containers in Fedora needs a lot of work. I started the Container SIG couple years ago, but we did not managed to build a good momentum to it. For a year or so we had a few people attending meeting and going through some of the tasks but 2019 has been hard on us and all the container activities have had a lower priority for each of the members

So currently the SIG is kind of dead . I personally try to focus on the Fedora base image and make sure it has regular releases and I try to respond to the bugs on BZ. For layered images I just keep OSBS up to date and running, but I cannot really work on the tooling improvement and policy improvement.

If this is something you really would like to see improving, maybe you can try to resurrect the Container SIG and start with the list of issues you have listed :-).

Hope that helps.
Clément

I have some questions, but the more I searched for whom & where to
ask, the more confused I became.

--

1) There ́s an IRC on freenode, '#fedora-containers' channel.
The TOPIC set contains the following message:

2) There is 'Fedora Container & Tools Documentation' [1]
It is only half-filled with information, some part missing entirely.
Even parts as 'Container Guidelines' [2].
Btw the wiki gladly redirects there ^ [3].
Btw there are some scratch notes about the guidelines from damn 2017
[4], which google offers me rather than the actual guidelines (because
they don't exist)

3) So ... who is in charge of it? Whom to contact? How? Where?
Does Fedora count with Containers or does it already thrown it overboard?

4) The container I am maintainer of (in pagure in 'container'
namespace) is not branched automatically. The last branch is 'f30',
but now I want to update it and add the missing branches. I have no
idea how should I do it though, since (1) (2) are such a mess.
I can try 'git push', but anyway, it won't solve the issue, it's not
branched automatically.

5) The Dockerfile (are we still using this name? shouldn't it be
'containerfile' now, with podman?)
starts with line like:
" FROM registry.fedoraproject.org/f30/....."
How can I substitute the Fedora release version with a variable, so I
can share the same content amongst branches for different Fedora
releases?

[1] https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/containers/
[2] https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/containers/guidelines/guidelines/
[3] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Container:Guidelines