Re: Ideas and proposal for removing changelog and release fields from spec file

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 2:47 PM Remi Collet <Fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Le 24/02/2020 à 17:48, Pierre-Yves Chibon a écrit :
>
> >   - You can easily opt-in by using the macros
>
> Please keep opt-in as a mandatory need for such a change.
>

> To be clear, I will be (perhaps the only) one to not use it.
>

> For now spec file are self-contained, which is nice.
>
> I don't like the idea of generated / external stuff related
> to "storage" or "build system"
>

> Sorry, to be again the old bad guy which don't like changes.
>
> Remi

FWIW, I agree. Maybe I'm getting old as well >:-D

I don't think it's a good idea to use any information from outside the
dist-git repository as a source of truth for anything.
The big benefit of only using the git repository as source of
information is that it is immutable, reproducible, and cannot be
changed after commits have been pushed.
The git repository data is also available for working on packages
*offline*, in contrast to having to ask koji for the number of builds
since X ...

Fabio