Re: RFC: Optimizing for 386 (Part 2)

Didier Casse wrote:

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:34:08 -0600, Derek Moore <derek.p.moore@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

He's not the only one that believes compiler optimizations have an
effect at runtime (if he was, Gentoo wouldn't exist).

Another breed called Arch Linux seems to believe that i686-optimized packagers would be better than the i386-optimized ones.

http://www.archlinux.org/about.php

I came across this a while ago, that's why I ask a simlar question in
the fedora-list mailing list.

A friend told me that he felt the power with arch linux. He used
Fedora before and complained that Fedora was getting bloated and
claimed arch linux was delivering more performance. Oh well I can't
really compare or couldn't verify it but I'm really happy with Fedora.

I tryed arch linux but it wasn't faster than fedora (the only difference was that it takes much longer to boot with default config) ... they also have kernel and glibc rpms for pentium4 and athlon.