Re: Announcement: EPEL Steering Committee Changes

On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 at 01:01, John M. Harris Jr <johnmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tuesday, February 18, 2020 10:35:26 AM MST Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It has been a pleasure for me to be a part of and help lead the
> > EPEL steering committee for the last couple of years. It has not
> > always been smooth sailing but I have found it an enjoyable experience.
> >
> > However, as you may know the Fedora project will be moving to a
> > different data-center later this spring (from Phoenix to northern
> > Virginia). Being involved in the planning and implementation of this
> > project, I do not think that I will be able to give EPEL the time
> > investment it deserve for the next 6 to 9 months. With EPEL-8 still
> > ramping up and the various opportunities with modularity, I do
> > not think it is a fair that EPEL suffers from this lack of time.
> >
> > As such, I would like to step down as chair/member of the steering
> > committee and nominate Troy Dawson as my replacement. Troy formerly
> > worked on Scientific Linux and has worked on OpenShift and other
> > projects at Red Hat for the last several years.  It is clear he has a
> > good eye on the concerns and problems enterprise users have. Recently,
> > Troy helped get the initial RHEL-8 and EPEL-8 out the door with
> > multiple builds and updates to various macro files.
> >
> > Once the move is completed and the close down of the old site is done,
> > I look forward to getting involved again in EPEL.
>
> Based on this, I'm not so sure that Troy is the best person to take that place
> within EPEL's Steering Committee. As an enterprise admin, RHEL8 has been
> nothing but a nightmare to deal with because of Modularity. I know Troy didn't
> singlehandedly sign off on that nonsense, but, as he is a member of the
> Modularity team, this is not a good sign for what's to come.

The chairperson's job is mainly to find out what work can be done with
the volunteers who show up on any particular day. Beyond that they do
not get to dictate anything beyond what is on the agenda for the next
meeting. Most of the work is motivating people and helping others find
solutions with the tools that are currently available. That said, Troy
has shown a great ability to deal with that situation with the many
years of working in the Scientific Linux community.

In the end, the EPEL steering committee does the best it can with the
cards it is dealt with. If RHEL-8 is going to be modular, then you
work out how to make modularity work with it. If RHEL-9 moved to
MacOS-X .dmg files.. you deal with that and get packages out the door
for administrators in a way that works best with that OS.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.