Re: Any plans to include kotlin in Fedora

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 3:33 PM Code Zombie <codezombie724@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Kotlin is an open source project. Are there any plans to include its compiler in Fedora (if not already) repositories? Currently, it is installed manually on Linux to the best of my knowledge, but Mac systems already install it with HomeBrew.

You could ask the same about Dart, or any other language with an
opensource toolchain missing from Fedora.

I think it boils down to having people to do the work, which is
probably not an easy task. I'm also assuming we'd need a more
up-to-date gradle package, which might not be a trivial task, and I
suspect that the build system is probably full of "Fedora violations"
between the need for an internet access, fetching pre-built
dependencies, bundling some dependencies...

That's usually what discourages me when I look at that kind of stack:
somewhat large and full of no-nos. So I have to assume Kotlin is
missing because nobody was bold enough to take it on (or nobody on
the Fedora project is interested in Kotlin).

Dridi