Re: Fedora 31 Network Strangeness

On 31/01/2020 15:29, Tom Hughes wrote:
On 31/01/2020 15:23, Steve Dickson wrote:

I know there was a change with systemd-networkd in a recent release so
that it now creates a unique but persistent MAC for bridges and maybe
other systems like NetworkManager have done the same?
Hmm... this seems odd to me... any idea why this was done?

I believe this is the relevant NEWS entry:

   https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/master/NEWS#L926

I think the idea is to ensure that a bridge always has the same
address, as by default it gets the address of whichever slave
happens to join first - that's fine in the common case where
there is one address added at boot and then others come and go
but may be non-deterministic if multiple addresses are added
at boot time.

Actually thinking about it the MAC address policy comes from a
link unit so is applied by udev and isn't systemd-networkd specific.

There is an example in that NEWS entry of a link unit to turn
this off and go back to the old behaviour.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom@xxxxxxxxxx)
http://compton.nu/