Re: Ideas for better development processes when maintaining hundreds of packages

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 2:11 PM Ken Dreyer <ktdreyer@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 7:18 AM Remi Collet <Fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > There are different:
> >
> > * Changelog is for end user
> > * Git log is for package maintainer
>
> I completely agree with this distinction. We're creating more "noise"
> for end users if we end up adding all the "whoops" commits into the
> %changelog. And asking maintainers to add "[skip]" strings or whatever
> into the Git commit logs adds yet another magic/manual thing that
> packagers must learn.
>
> This is why rdopkg writes the dist-git commit messages from the RPM
> %changelog instead of the other way around. For example I can write or
> modify my message in %changelog, run "rdopkg amend", and it
> automatically updates my dist-git message to match what I wrote in
> %changelog. I have not had to copy-and-paste information from
> %changelog into the dist-git message in years.

fedpkg will do the same thing if you use "fedpkg ci -c" (or if you
love long forms: "fedpkg commit --with-changelog").

> > > * committing to git should build the package
> > >
> > > Is there a reason why this wouldn't be the case?
> >
> > Yes, because I often commit various changse "before" the build
> > (some being cherry-pick on other branch, some not)
>
> This one I happen to disagree with. I've set up a Jenkins job that
> automatically builds on another (non-Fedora) Koji instance for a large
> number of packages, and it is fantastic to never worry about
> remembering to run "rpkg build" by hand any more. I trigger the builds
> on the "push" bus messages though, instead of building every single
> commit. If I'm making many small changes, then I'll commit them all to
> Git locally, then push them all at once. When other developers don't
> follow that practice of batching up their commit pushes, it does mean
> that Koji ends up building a lot more frequently, and we trigger
> composes more frequently throughout each day... but frankly that leads
> to some other advantages, because it makes things more "continuous"
> overall.

Exactly. And the vast majority of packagers do largely atomic changes,
so it's really not going to be a huge deal if we get some rejected
build requests because the NVR hasn't changed yet.

> > IMHO, remember KISS, and don't try to add more magic to our tooling
> >
> > And I really prefer to see stabilization of our current tools and
> > infrastructure before breaking it again.
>
> I completely agree with this Remi. We're still suffering from the loss
> of pkgdb's features. I would prefer to fix what's broken before trying
> to mess with changelogs and end up with something half-baked.

*sigh*