Re: What would it take to drop release and changelog from our spec files? (and do we want to?)

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 6:12 PM Stasiek Michalski <hellcp@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 23:57, Dan Čermák
> <dan.cermak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> >>  If we're not doing automatic builds, sure. I've been going on two
> >> big
> >>  assumptions:
> >>
> >>  1. We're going to do automatic building
> >>  2. We need *some* kind of stable leading portion of release for
> >>  packagers to use for specified dependencies, especially
> >>  Obsoletes+Provides combos.
> >
> > How is openSUSE taking care of 2 then? OBS bumps the release on each
> > rebuild and that can result in crazily high release numbers. I assume
> > they got a mechanism for Obsoletes+Provides and we could use that too?
>
> You got me curious there, so I looked it up with dnf, the highest
> release
> number in Factory is 1475.12 and it belongs to elib, which had its
> source/
> patches last updated 13 years ago, and its spec/changes 5 years ago.

The original commit of that package[1] had an absurdly high Release
number, so OBS stuck to it. At the fourth commit[2], the version was
synced and updated to 1451. The original autobuild system had a
Release value sync mechanism which I assume was dropped as part of the
migration from autobuild to OBS. That system likely synced the state
of that value as it was rebuilt without source changes. After that
point, we finally arrive at when the in-spec value was set to zero by
Stephen Kulow[3]. But regardless, OBS kept that value and kept
incrementing it on further commits, leading to the 1475 we have now.
There hasn't been a new version of elib to trigger OBS to reset the
Release value back to zero, so that's why the value is ridiculously
high. There have been 12 builds of the latest commit of elib (hence
the 12).

So if elib were theoretically replaced with something else, you'd do
the following:
Obsoletes: elib < 1.0-1476
Provides: elib = 1.0-1476

[1]: https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/openSUSE:Factory/elib/elib.spec?expand=1&rev=98133cb490cebaf272c34d2316c6fb81