Re: Ideas for better development processes when maintaining hundreds of packages

Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Tue, 28 Jan 2020 at 13:01, Robbie Harwood <rharwood@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> "Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>> > I always think that Fedora works fine if you maintain 1-5 packages.
>> > It's possible to maintain 20 with a lot of work.  And if you want to
>> > maintain 100+ (things like the ocaml-* set that I help to maintain)
>> > then you have to write your own automation.  Could we do things
>> > better?  No one asked for them, but here are my ideas ...
>> >
>> > ---
>> >
>> > * CVE bugs should autoclose when a package is rebased
>> >
>> > Fabiano built the mingw-openssl package recently, but there are still
>> > a load of open CVE bugs against this package referring to the older
>> > version.  These should be closed automatically.  I think this will
>> > require collecting the version of the package that fixes a CVE and
>> > recording that in Bugzilla (or in the package itself in some standard
>> > way).
>>
>> This is an interesting idea, and I appreciate you're considering ways to
>> resolve this problem.  However, I'm concerned that this will lead to
>> maintainers not actually checking whether a version fixes an issue -
>> since we don't have automatic verification (or even usually manual
>> verification) of security fixes, that wouldn't get caught.
>>

> You are assuming that maintainers actually check to see if a version
> fixes an issue already. If a packager has 100's or 1000's of
> packages.. there is no way they will have done so except on a 1 in a
> million case set. I think if are going to aim that a packager can
> 'maintain' hundreds or thousands of packages that we also assume that
> this security is not going to be checked by the maintainer. If it
> needs to be checked it will need to be 'outsourced' to some group who
> can do so.

Per Package Maintainer Responsibilities [1], maintainers are expected to
"deal with reported bugs in a timely manner" and reach out if they
cannot handle the load.  I think it's reasonable to expect maintainers
to be close to compliance with the policy they agreed to when becoming
maintainers :)

Personally, I think if you have enough packages that you cannot actually
triage your own bugtracker, you have too many packages.  I don't think
it's at all reasonable for one person to be responsible for "100's or
1000s of packages", and I think not knowing whether security issues are
or are not fixed in a given version of them is a perfect illustration of
why that doesn't work.

What I would like us to do is move away from needing to do that.
Whether that involves more SIG-like maintainer groups, or a different
format, I don't know; but one thing we do need is more monitoring of the
security issues than we have right now.

Thanks,
--Robbie

1: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fesco/Package_maintainer_responsibilities/