Re: Ideas for better development processes when maintaining hundreds of packages

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 01:08:11PM -0500, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jan 2020 at 13:01, Robbie Harwood <rharwood@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > "Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >
> > > I always think that Fedora works fine if you maintain 1-5 packages.
> > > It's possible to maintain 20 with a lot of work.  And if you want to
> > > maintain 100+ (things like the ocaml-* set that I help to maintain)
> > > then you have to write your own automation.  Could we do things
> > > better?  No one asked for them, but here are my ideas ...
> > >
> > > ---
> > >
> > > * CVE bugs should autoclose when a package is rebased
> > >
> > > Fabiano built the mingw-openssl package recently, but there are still
> > > a load of open CVE bugs against this package referring to the older
> > > version.  These should be closed automatically.  I think this will
> > > require collecting the version of the package that fixes a CVE and
> > > recording that in Bugzilla (or in the package itself in some standard
> > > way).
> >
> > This is an interesting idea, and I appreciate you're considering ways to
> > resolve this problem.  However, I'm concerned that this will lead to
> > maintainers not actually checking whether a version fixes an issue -
> > since we don't have automatic verification (or even usually manual
> > verification) of security fixes, that wouldn't get caught.
> >

> You are assuming that maintainers actually check to see if a version
> fixes an issue already. If a packager has 100's or 1000's of
> packages.. there is no way they will have done so except on a 1 in a
> million case set. I think if are going to aim that a packager can
> 'maintain' hundreds or thousands of packages that we also assume that
> this security is not going to be checked by the maintainer. If it
> needs to be checked it will need to be 'outsourced' to some group who
> can do so.

Also the bit where I said
  "(or in the package itself in some standard way)."

Of course that standard way doesn't exist (or does it?) but we could
surely encourage upstreams to provide data that we need in a standard
format, especially if we coorperate with Debian, SUSE, Arch and others.

For example, for my upstream projects I write release notes (!= the
changelog) but they're text files and not really in any standard
location or format.  Also we have security bug pages but again not in
a standard way.

If it was standardized we could suck that data straight into Fedora
and no packager, whether maintaining 1 or 100 packages, would have to
be troubled by this.

Rich.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW