Re: Ideas for better development processes when maintaining hundreds of packages

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 11:32:46AM +0100, Guido Aulisi wrote:
> Il giorno mar 28 gen 2020 alle ore 10:04 Richard W.M. Jones
> <rjones@xxxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:
> >
> > I always think that Fedora works fine if you maintain 1-5 packages.
> > It's possible to maintain 20 with a lot of work.  And if you want to
> > maintain 100+ (things like the ocaml-* set that I help to maintain)
> > then you have to write your own automation.  Could we do things
> > better?  No one asked for them, but here are my ideas ...
> >
> > ---
> >
> > * kill the %changelog
> >
> > Please, let's kill it, and generate it from the git changelog.
> > I'm glad to see there's a proposal to do this.
> >
> > A general principle I'm following here is a packager should never
> > be asked to enter the same information twice.
> >
> > * committing to git should build the package
> >
> > Is there a reason why this wouldn't be the case?
>
> Sometimes you only add comments to the spec file and a rebuild is not needed.

In the current situation, the build would fail in koji because you did not touch
either version nor release.
So koji will very quickly fail and move on.

In the future, if you opt-in for auto-generated changelog and release fields,
this may result in an actual build, which will make koji busy for a little while
long and then it'll stay there, on its own, until it's garbage collected.

The only release for which this would end up going to the user would be rawhide.

Pierre