Re: Ideas for better development processes when maintaining hundreds of packages

On Tue, 28 Jan 2020 at 10:53, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 10:21:41AM +0100, Milan Crha wrote:
> > On Tue, 2020-01-28 at 10:03 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > > * committing to git should build the package
> > >
> > > Is there a reason why this wouldn't be the case?
> >
> >       Hi,
> > the answer for the above is just your following point:
> >
> > > * commit groups of packages together
> >
> > aka the dependencies. Sometimes you want a special side tag, sometimes
> > it's not needed. The way I do it right now (it's only about 4 packages
> > depending on each other, not hundreds), is that I commit to master,
> > then to stable, then the second package to master, to stable, then
> > third and finally to the fourth and then I ran a chain-build as this:
> > "a : b : c " in package 'd', (which builds 'c' and 'd' in parallel,
> > once 'a' and 'b' are built in serial). Then I just refresh the koji
> > build page from time to time and verify that the build still runs
> > and/.or it finished successfully. I can run chain-build in stable too,
> > it only needs a bit more intervention, to define overrides for 'a' and
> > 'b' in bodhi, to be able to build them.
> >
> > I'm afraid fully automating such things might be a challenge. In other
> > words, properly solving dependencies is problematic. Having yet another
> > syntax to describe it, or the groups you suggest, scares me a bit. And
> > we are not talking about inter-package dependencies, with packages you
> > are not maintaining.
>
> This is not a problem - it has been solved several times
> independently.  I most recently proposed this, but it's certainly
> isn't the first time it has been done:
>
> https://rwmj.wordpress.com/2020/01/14/goals-an-experimental-new-tool-which-generalizes-make/
> http://git.annexia.org/?p=fedora-ocaml-rebuild.git;a=summary
>
> What we need is Fedora to recognize that maintaining 100s of packages
> mostly automatically should be a goal.  If you look at the ecosystems
> around language packaging (cpan, nodejs, crates, opam, etc) this ought
> to be self-evident.

When there's a unified well-organized language-specific ecosystem (and
rpm-friendly; see the Java case...) it's definitely easier to do this,
and yet... See [1] for example (and follow the "Homepage" button to
see the tooling and setup) for an attempt to maintain thousands of
packages for a particular ecosystem that is quite strict and
homogeneous. And yet, as I said, many aspects of those specs wouldn't
pass a package review.

That said, I completely agree that "maintaining 100s of packages
mostly automatically" should be a goal.

Iñaki

[1] https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/iucar/cran/