Re: Java Dev Group and Fedora Quality

Hi Bill,

On 25/01/2020 23:06, Bill Chatfield via devel wrote:
In another case I tried to set up a Fedora system to run games, as that is what kids want to do. That was an utter failure because Fedora can't run any game that kids want to run today. The ability to run games cannot be underestimated because that is how you get the younger generation interested. That isn't really the fault of Fedora, I'm just mentioning that as an example of how, in general, the experience of the end-user is not being taken into account. And Fedora is failing to capture and retain users.

As a young person interested in Fedora and also in gaming I must disagree on this.
I run lots of games on wine with great success.

There are exceptions that either are a result of some messy coding
(e.g. Dragon age Origins' aliasing when it crashes on me when going over 4x)
or of the developers deliberately not wanting to support a portion of community (e.g. Rust and Vulkan or Apex legends disabling anticheat support for Linux clients for some reason).

It became much much easier with steam proton where I can run even games as old
as "Star Wars: Republic Command" without problems.

All in all, we have wine, dxvk, winedb (which I use when something goes wrong)
and I run games from various companies with varying release dates.

Cheers,

Jarek