Re: Java Dev Group and Fedora Quality

On 1/26/20 8:25 AM, Bill Chatfield via devel wrote:
I think that by applying basic engineering techniques like user testing we can weed out ideologies that don't provide any value to users. Do the testing and let the results decide.The principles of ISO 9000 can be applied to improve products. There are also metrics that can measure how good a user interface is, like how many clicks does it take to perform a specific task. If these kinds of techniques were being applied to Gnome, we'd be able to more impartially measure how good Gnome is and also improve it. We'd be able to make more informed decisions and get better results. And if the Gnome guys actually had information like this, they'd be forced to deal with it. Maybe they'd be forced to admit that they care more about their ideology than helping their users be more productive. Or maybe the results would support the Gnome ideology. Until someone takes a scientific/engineering approach to measuring it, the issue can't really be resolved.

My problem with Gnome is that they just do whatever they feel like instead of applying well-established engineering or software engineering quality processes.

Desktop change can be done from terminal [0],[1],[2] (though not in software center which may be helpful for some users):

sudo dnf -y group install "KDE Plasma Workspaces"

Not sure if any of the available desktops takes the above measurement  approach. Many linux users value privacy, but some data collection would be helpful.

[0] https://computingforgeeks.com/install-kde-plasma-environment-on-fedora/

[1] https://computingforgeeks.com/how-to-install-deepin-desktop-environment-on-fedora/

[2] https://www.tecmint.com/install-and-switch-desktop-environments-in-fedora/