Re: Let's talk about Fedora in the '20s!

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 9:29 AM Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I agree that's a challenge. Any ideas for how to address it and change these
> perceptions?

My 1.5 broken-cryptocurrency cents on this one.

I think we should make a serious and great effort to put the users
first remind us of this in every breaking decision we make. For
example, in Fedora 31, we don't have docker out of the box; though,
podman is awesome. This is a good example of how we ask that users
align into, often awesome, new technology paradigms, but it breaks
user's environments and it takes more work to make Fedora your main
OS.

This is why we have, in every release, so many articles and scripts
that "fix" Fedora, so that the user doesn't have to.

Making sure we don't break the user's experience is key, IMHO.

Making sure that software doesn't break is key as well. Things should
just work. Also, we should through some configuration help there as
well; not provide stuff as vanilla as we have for years. For example,
just recently, the nginx configuration took into account php-fpm (as
an example that comes to mind). For several releases, one had to do
this manually.

We should provide an environment that welcomes 3rd parties. We want
companies to make Fedora their go-to distro. Wouldn't be awesome that
docker showed examples of how to do stuff in Fedora first; rather than
Ubuntu? Same goes for k8s, raspberry pi,

Bring the companies and the companies will bring the users.

That's what I can think of right now, hehe.