Re: gcc 10: Default to -fno-common, multiple definitions of ...

On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 12:12 PM Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Miro Hrončok wrote:
> > https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-10/porting_to.html#common
> >
> > "Default to -fno-common
> >
> > A common mistake in C is omitting extern when declaring a global variable
> > in a header file. If the header is included by several files it results in
> > multiple definitions of the same variable. In previous GCC versions this
> > error is ignored. GCC 10 defaults to -fno-common, which means a linker
> > error will now be reported. To fix this, use extern in header files when
> > declaring global variables, and ensure each global is defined in exactly
> > one C file. As a workaround, legacy C code can be compiled with -fcommon.
> >

> >        int x;  // tentative definition - avoid in header files
> >
> >        extern int y;  // correct declaration in a header file"
>
> I fail to see how this kind of incompatible change that breaks hundreds of
> packages (and certainly a lot more software out there) is an improvement.
>
>         Kevin Kofler

Honestly, it would have been good to mention that GCC 10 contains such
a breaking change, either on the GCC10 Change proposal wiki page, or
in the FESCo ticket.
Neither was the case. :(

Now we still don't have a publicly available list of broken packages
(which, apparently, was known?) - can we please get the list?
I don't care where, but adding a link to it to either the Change wiki
page or the FESCo ticket would be great, so we can better deal with
it.

Fabio