Re: Copr Build System - review of 2019 and vote for features in 2020

Jakub Kadlcik wrote:
> I am truly sorry to hear that. I am afraid, that there is no way to
> recover those data. Thank you for reporting it though, I have investigated
> the issue and did as much as I could to prevent it from happening in the
> future.
>
> I wrote some unit tests for the feature and more importantly
> added a constraint, so we won't remove any chroot, that we haven't sent
> a notification email about. I have also found a possible cause of the
> issue, so I temporarily disabled the feature.
>
> Tests, fix, and explanation in
> https://pagure.io/copr/copr/pull-request/1229

IMHO, this whole "delete by default" concept is inherently flawed and
dangerous and cannot be fixed. Notification e-mails can be lost in so many
ways (wrong Fedora notification settings, e-mail provider issues, spam
filter false positives, out-of-quota mailbox, etc.) or be missed due to
being offline for a prolonged period of time. It should never be allowed to
delete users' data without their explicit confirmation. Especially in this
case where it is not even possible to reupload the data because Copr can no
longer build for those EOL chroots (which is another quite annoying
limitation of Copr – allowing to build for EOL releases would also allow
people to try backporting select security fixes to those releases Fedora no
longer wants to support).

        Kevin Kofler