Re: gcc 10: Default to -fno-common, multiple definitions of

On 21. 01. 20 19:04, Jeff Law wrote:

Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 17:44:37 +0000
From: Peter Robinson <pbrobinson@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: gcc 10: Default to -fno-common, multiple definitions of
To: law@xxxxxxxxxx,     Development discussions related to Fedora
	<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I proposed a change to redhat-rpm-config to handle this case by
allowing  package to add a single line to their .spec file to turn off
the new common symbol handling.  Igor rejected that change arguing that
the packages themselves should be fixed.

Ultimately yes they should be fixed, but giving a means of easily
mitigating the problem while people work with upstream to fix the
issues is also useful, it's been a problem for ever and expecting
people to fix it in short order is problematic especially when they'll
start to be deluged in FTBFS spam within moments of the mass rebuild.
That was the idea.   Provide a trivial opt-out so that upstreams had
time to fix properly.  I even volunteered to add the opt-out marker
where appropriate to minimize the FTBFS issues.  I also volunteered to
help with the packages that don't honor flags injection.

This sounds reasonable to me.

The PR is https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/redhat-rpm-config/pull-request/77

I have reopened it.

The mass rebuild will notify the maintainrs and they can use that macro to short-workaround the problem. It' also easier to grep from the specs than custom patches and whatnots.

--
Miro Hrončok