Re: LDAP

Hello

> Are you advocating the elimination of /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow
> altogether, or just storing all user accounts in LDAP?

No, I don't wanna "switch" to LDAP. I suggesting only to have an installation option under "Authentification configuration" to install an LDAP Server instead of using /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow. Not as an average replacement just as an installation option such as using winbindd, NIS, or Kerberos in case of installing a network server to have these work on the ldap server done by the installation rater than doing it later by hand.

Roland

Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
"RK" == Roland Käser <roli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

RK> Hello Can we please discuss this point about an preinstalled LDAP
RK> Server on System Install for storing user account data by default?

Are you advocating the elimination of /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow
altogether, or just storing all user accounts in LDAP?  For a regular
desktop machine not integrated into a larger computing environment,
this would seem to be overkill.  For a machine that has to integrate
into a network, this is already done.

So what's left?  A standalone machine with a large number of users?

 - J<