Re: What would it take to drop release and changelog from our spec files? (and do we want to?)

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 05:20:08PM +0100, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> On Mon, 2020-01-13 at 10:34 +0100, Petr Pisar wrote:
> > (2) The new values must be larger than all historical values (across
> > all historical Fedora releases). That assures than a new build won't
> > become obsoleted because of a decreased release.
>
> can you clarify what you mean with "historical values/releases" here?
> Would it include all currently active releases at some point in time
> (i.e. everything up to F32/rawhide ATM)?

Not ontly currently active. Users also upgrade from just end-of-lifed
distribution to a next one. It must also cover at least one distribution
before the latest active one.

> The way I see it, we should have a differently phrased requirement,
> ensuring that within an upstream version of a package, the release of a
> build in a higher Fedora release should be "newer" than of any previous
> build (for the same version) in an older release.

Yes. You are right. My requirement was too strong. Probably stemming from the
fact that many packages do not recieve any version bump and the only changing
part is the Release string.

-- Petr