Re: Vague proposal: ship prebuilt initramfs images

On 1/20/20 7:57 PM, Matthew Garrett wrote:

> I've been thinking about ways to solve this for a while, and I'm coming
> to the conclusion that the best plan is probably to just ship pre-built
> initramfs images. I can think of three main reasons to want to use
> system-specific images:

For what it's worth, this is what is done for OSTree based systems (Fedora Atomic
Host, Fedora CoreOS, Fedora Silverblue). There is an option for the user to generate
an initramfs client side, but I don't think it's used very much at all.

I know in the case of OSTree based systems you are shipping more of an image than a
case like Fedora Server where you are assembling a new system from a set of defined
RPMs, but it's at least a data point.

Dusty