Re: [F32] Avogadro moves to Avogadro2

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020, 20:51 Antonio Trande <anto.trande@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 19/01/20 19:51, Fabio Valentini wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 7:47 PM Antonio Trande <anto.trande@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all.
>>
>> Avogadro(1) package supports Python2 only.
>> My intention is to retire this package on Fedora 32+; at the same time,
>> Avogadro2 will be the replacement of Avogadro(1) on Fedora 32+ by moving
>> up the Epoch to 1, and obsoleting the old Avogadro(1).
>>
>> Summarizing, starting from Fedora 32:
>>  Avogadro(1) --> retired
>>  Avogadro2 will have (avogadro-1.3.0 does not exist but will obsolete
>> any 1.2.0 release):
>>
>> %if 0%{?fedora} > 31
>> `Epoch: 1`
>> `Obsoletes: avogadro < 0:1.3.0-1`
>> `Provides:  avogadro = 1:%{version}-%{release}`
>> %endif
>
> Two questions:
>
> - is avogadro2 compatible with avogadro? if not, it should not provide
> the old package, and if it is parallel installable, also not obsolete
> it.

They will not be installable together, not for compatibility issue but
because avogadro(1) (without Python2) will not be available anymore.

> - does avogadro2 have a smaller version than avogadro(1)? looking at
> its homepage, that does not seem to be the case. so ... why do you
> need Epoch?

None smaller version than avogadro(1). Epoch should make Avogadro2 the
new Avogadro since the v2 release (like upstream wrote) is a re-writed
Avogadro project under development.

Ok, good, then Providing and Obsoleting the old package should be the right thing, and you don't need Epoch if the version is higher anyway.

Fabio

--
---
Antonio Trande