Re: Effort to remove libdb

Would it be possible to have a libdb-compat package with the 5.x
version to at least decouple the packages that are somewhat stuck with
that version of libdb and the ones that can use newer version?

I still need to figure out how sasl can switch databases, the problem
is that I do not want to trash users setup by invalidating their
saslauthdb databases, at the same time I see no easy way to migrate
them as those db could be anywhere on the system.

However I could potential try and ondemand upgrade if libdb were still
available (via libdb-compat) for  releases (to catch upgrades that skip
a release) so that the database could be read and then rewritten back
in the new format at first use.

Note I do not know if even this plan is feasible, but wanted to know if
I should even try to feigure out or if libdb-compat is an
impossibility.

Simo.

On Thu, 2020-01-16 at 17:08 +0100, Filip Janus wrote:
> Hi all,
> as you maybe know the BerkeleyDB 6.x has a more restrictive license than
> the previous versions (AGPLv3 vs. LGPLv2), and due to that many projects
> cannot use it.
> Few years ago there was an effort to reduce the number of dependent
> packages on BerkeleyDB(libdb). And nowadays situation seems to be almost
> the same. Here is
> the link with packages dependent on libdb[1] from previous effort, which is
> truthful for nowadays situation. As a member of the database team which is
> responsible for libdb, I would like to know your opinions on this problem,
> because many components have many specific cases where is libdb used.
>
> Nowadays we would like to remove libdb from Fedora as soon as possible, in
> the best case  from Fedora 33. But I am afraid, that it isn't real.
>
> I have discussed this issue with my colleagues and we propose an approach.
> We found that the biggest problem would occur in updating components from
> versions that support libdb to versions without this support. Here could
> arise problems of inconsistency.
>
> Our approach assumes to convert old libdb databases to other supported
> database format in each package related to this libdb issue. Result would
> be Fedora without libdb.
> I know that this approach probably isn't perfect.
>
> Therefore  I would like to ask for Your opinions, suggestions and every
> problem clarification.
> Thank you very much for any help. I welcome every opinion.
>

> [1]
> https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=User:Pkubat/Draft_-_Removing_BerkeleyDB_from_Fedora&rd=User%3AJstanek%2FDraft_-_Removing_BerkeleyDB_from_Fedora
>
> Fiip Januš - Red Hat Associate Developer Engineer - Databases Team

Simo Sorce
RHEL Crypto Team
Red Hat, Inc