Re: Let's talk about Fedora in the '20s!

On 1/13/20 9:30 AM, Randy Barlow wrote:
On Sat, 2020-01-11 at 11:19 -0600, Martin Jackson wrote:
I don't know if things like pipx exist for other scripting
languages, but do other people think that's worth exploring?
(Currently pipx uses tox in what seems like a weird way, and we'd
need to package userpath and tox-venv to make them work - I'm working
on those and hope to submit the specs for review soon).
This doesn't directly answer your question, but you can use virtualenvs
for pretty much any language, not just Python. At my previous employer,
before containers were so hot right now, we built virtualenvs for
deployment on all our production systems. Our build system's output was
a virtualenv that contained all the dependencies needed to run the
application, our CI system tested that virtualenv, and if it passed, it
was deployed into production. Many of our tools were Python, but we
also used this for C++ and Java successfully. virtualenv is a great
tool and gives you many of the packaging benefits of containers (but
not the runtime benefits, though you could achieve that with other
tools).

Yes!  Pipx is a mechanism that uses virtualenvs.  I didn't realize that the concept generalized to Java and C++, but there's no reason it wouldn't.  Interesting...

Thanks,

Marty