Re: Using pantheon as a standalone de

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 7:24 PM Silvia Sánchez <bhkohane@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello Harsh,
>
> Turned out you're right, Pantheon is written from scratch as it is explained in this link:  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pantheon
> No, your information wasn't wrong, I was confused.  Sorry about that.

Hi,

sole maintainer of the elementary / Pantheon packages speaking. Sorry
for the late response.

It looks like I need to clear up some misconceptions here.

Pantheon is not really implemented "from scratch" (even if that sounds
nice for their marketing purposes).

The Pantheon desktop environment uses a lot of components that are
provided by GNOME:
- The session management is handled by gnome-session (see
/usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/pantheon.desktop),
- it relies on gnome-settings-daemon for handling all sorts of stuff,
just like GNOME, and
- it also uses gnome services for login keyring handling (seahorse).

The fact that it heavily relies on gnome-session and
gnome-settings-daemon is the source of a lot of my headaches, since it
tends to change and break things with every release of GNOME (and
hence, fedora). Additionally, the window manager used in Pantheon
("gala") is implemented on top (lib)mutter, just like gnome-shell.
This is the second source of my headaches with maintaining Pantheon
for fedora, since gala is not compatible with mutter versions >= 3.30,
which is the reason why I have to keep maintaining a compatibility
package of mutter 3.28.

Regarding the question about the DM, the upstream recommendation is to
use LightDM, where elementary also provides a custom login greeter.
But since Pantheon can work on top of any DM, I didn't want to
introduce a hard dependency on any of them. This might be "solved" if
there was a dedicated Pantheon spin of fedora (with LightDM and
Pantheon preinstalled), but I don't have the time to maintain such a
thing. For the time being, use Pantheon with the DM of your choice
(LightDM with elementary-greeter is recommended, but GDM works too).

I've been working with the guys from the elementary project to make
Pantheon better suited for use on non-elementaryOS distros, and it's
already a lot better than it was when I started packaging Pantheon for
fedora. But there are still a lot of things that could be better.

These "Distro-agnostic Pantheon" issues are tracked in this upstream project:
https://github.com/orgs/elementary/projects/46

Fabio