Re: dnf autoremove by default on upgrades

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 5:53 AM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 12:00 AM Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Well, we already have fedora-obsolete-packages. That should handlle this
> > > case no? Folks who want to have obsolete things removed can make sure to
> > > have fedora-obsolete-packages installed and it should obsolete those.
> >
> > It's not installed by default. Should it be?
> >

> fedora-obsolete-packages is a self-destructing package. It is
> installed as part of your transaction to clean up packages and then
> removed afterward.

Gotcha. That's a useful mechanism. But it's a package automatically
created based on a list of obsoleted, not based on someone who curated
it with the intent of: these packages for sure should be removed.

Is it either accept the automated obsoletes list, or someone has to
flag these things for removal? i.e. the former is too aggressive and
might break user's 3rd part programs, the latter is too much manual
work and isn't maintainable?

--
Chris Murphy