Re: dnf autoremove by default on upgrades

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 9:16 PM Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This might be a bad idea. But I'm looking for better ideas than status quo.
>
> A known problem is upgraded systems get crusty over time. Maybe folks should clean install more often, yet they don't.
>
> If there's a new good idea, but it's a short term solution, the fact it'll live forever acts as a deterrent to implementing it.
>
> What if there were an autoremove for anything older than Fedora n-2, that is, keep current plus last two releases? i.e. for upgrades to Fedora 33, keep stale packages from 33, 32, and 31.
>
> Or another idea?

We currently advise running dnf autoremove and examining the output to
see if it's acceptable to autoremove. That said, the distro-sync
command can be configured to also do autoremove at the same time. We
don't expose this in DNF today, but if it's something people want, it
is possible to do...