Re: Fedora 32 Self-Contained Change proposal: Additional buildroot to test x86-64 micro-architecture update

Once upon a time, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> As an experiment.  To see if it actually has real, tangible benefit.

I guess my biggest issue with it is the proposal does nothing to address
the harm of the original proposal (namely, that Fedora would no longer
support some brand-new hardware).  To me, it doesn't really matter how
much benefit the original change has to the hardware it does support if
it kills support for hardware on the market today, and that makes the
whole proposal moot.

I feel the way forward is going to be along the lines of the i386/i686
changes back in the day, and any effort should be towards that, not just
throwing out support for current hardware because it'll make Fedora run
faster on a subset of current hardware.  I'd guess that everybody
already accepts that at least some packages would show performance
benefits from changing the baseline, but... so what?  Why go to all this
effort to prove it?
--
Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>