Re: Fedora 32 Self-Contained Change proposal: Provide OpenType Bitmap Fonts

Le jeudi 09 janvier 2020 à 12:16 -0500, Ben Cotton a écrit :

> == Detailed Description ==
> In Fedora 31, pango has been upgraded to 1.44, and switched to use
> the HarfBuzz library instead of FreeType.
>
> But HarfBuzz doesn't support bitmap fonts or Adobe Type 1 fonts.
> In gnome-terminal, the bitmap fonts can't be used.
>
> In order to use the bitmap fonts with pango 1.44,
> we propose to provide some additional popular bitmap fonts in
> OpenType format by using fonttosfnt tool.

Just to be clear: the Fonts packaging guidelines that FPC has been
reviewing since last year mandates the conversion and forbids the
packaging of deprecated formats.

And, user feedback since then has shown making the deprecated formats
available in addition to OpenType, not only creates the usual rendering
mess when apps choose different glyphs sources in slightly different
conditions, but also triggers app bugs. The old files are not
"harmless".

> As it stands, having more than *.otb causes the weird hex number
> rectangle glyph "Terminus Italic",

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot