Re: Let's talk about Fedora in the '20s!

On Thu, Jan 09, 2020 at 08:24:41AM -0600, Richard Shaw wrote:
>    On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 11:20 AM Matthew Miller
>    <[1]mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>      Those are my thoughts. What other challenges and opportunities do you
>      see,
>      and what would you like us to focus on?
>
>    The packaging process has changed a lot over the last couple of years
>    (well, not the core fedpkg process) but I've been a packager for almost 12
>    years now (Where did the time go?!?!?) and here are some things that would
>    help me.
>    Preface: I have a lot more packages but a lot less time than I did 12
>    years ago. Aging parents, kids, $DAYJOB, etc...
>    1. Make updating well behaved packages easier and/or more automated.
>    I have a few upstreams that are very organized and they don't accidentally
>    break API/ABI compatibility and I almost never need to patch anything. How
>    about an option or build those when updated, but not a "scratch build" or
>    a candidate build, but something in between that's gated before becoming a
>    candidate with a report where I can easily see what changed (pkgdiff &
>    abipkgdiff?) and then simply click a button if I want to create an update
>    or throw it away.

I wonder how much of this could be achieved packit + gating + the automation
added for rawhide gating. I guess some parts will be missing but potentially not
so much.

>    2. I find the whole fedpkg, rpkg, copr-cli and their interaction between
>    [2]src.fedoraproject.org and [3]pagure.io confusing.
>    Not only are the icons the same for the browser tab, but it seems like I'm
>    constantly getting generic emails telling me my api token is about to
>    expire and there's nothing in the email that differentiates the two sites,
>    nor a link.

That is definitely something we want to fix, we even have ideas how, we just
need to dedicate some time to do it.

Pierre