Re: Upgrading libffi

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020, at 6:11 PM, Anthony Green wrote:

> I released a new version of libffi a month or so ago, the first one in 5
> years.  There's an ABI change that was unavoidable in order to
> accommodate the aarch64 port, and the sonumber was bumped.

Anthony, I think all of the work you've done on libffi has been very valuable to the FOSS community.  It's good code that has gained widespread use in critical projects such as glib, python, etc.

But, the burden of being widely used is one needs to be more conservative in changes.

You may remember in fact we discussed this exact same thing a bit less than 7 years ago:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2012-April/166357.html

At that time, you bumped the soname for a reason that I still don't think was necessary (removing a debug symbol that probably no one was calling anyways).

Which commit to libffi for aarch64 porting required the ABI bump across all architectures?